Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to seal my granite?
• Yes. By its nature, granite is moisture-resistant — however, it’s also porous. Sealants block liquids from seeping into the granite. A properly sealed countertop will cause liquids to bead on the surface.
Will my countertop have a seam?
• We try extremely hard to avoid seams, but the reality is that the majority of kitchen countertops will have a seam no matter how hard we try. We are limited to the dimensions of the slab and consumption of material figured for the project.
Can I cut on granite?
• Yes, Granite is an extremely tough, durable material and in most cases can be used as a cutting surface without fear of scratching the stone (although knives may dull the surface by repeated cutting on the stone). However, with that being said, we always recommend using a cutting board.
Can I set hot pans on granite countertop?
• Yes, Granite is ideal for kitchens because under normal conditions it will not burn. Granite will not be harmed by hot pots, pans or open flames.
Can I set hot pans on quartz countertop?
• NO, quartz countertops are a durable countertop surface for kitchens because under normal conditions they will not burn. However, our experience has shown that the man-made elements of quartz such as the resin can and in many cases will discolor. Granite will not be harmed by hot pots, pans or open flames.
Does granite chip or scratch?
• Granite is a very dense material and under normal conditions it is chip and scratch resistant. However, pots, pans and other heavy objects may chip the edge.
Does granite stain?
• In general it is unlikely. All stone and quartz counters are porous to some extent; however granite has very little porosity relative to other stones. Most granite colors will never show moisture but some colors will show a dark spot if a puddle of liquid is left on the counter for a period of time. To be safe, be sure that your granite is sealed properly before or after installation.
How can I limit the staining of granite?
• Wipe up spills on granite as quickly as possible.
Avoid using acidic or oil-based products .
Can granite be repaired?
• While it is difficult to permanently repair granite, it is also very difficult to damage it. However, if some damage does occur, granite usually can be repaired by a mix of epoxy and some other additives .
Does granite have a completely smooth surface?
• No. Many granite contain pits and fissures that are natural characteristics of granite. Some granite exhibit these characteristics more than others, and the lighting of the room can make these marks more or less visible.